Wednesday, 12 February 2014

At last, it's only taken a year!

Having received my first consignment of tags for this year's Chocolate Baroque tag swap, I remembered that I still hadn't made a suitable display for my 2012 Alphatags so my challenge this week was to make something that would set them off in a complimentary fashion. 

Looking through them for inspiration, I was once again amazed by their beauty and the range of colours, not to mention the artistic talents of the ladies who had slaved over them in order to meet the given deadlines. The idea I came up with was a display album  made from black 270 gsm card stock with a chipboard cover. Each internal page  has a pocket big enough to hold 2 tags. I left the pages black but painted the edges of the chipboard cover in black acrylic paint to match and then added  papers from the Prima firefly collection (which I purchased from Chocolate Baroque a long time ago and have been stroking ever since) a handmade flower and some  leaves. All the pages including the cover have rounded corners. Finally I added a small sparkly acetate butterfly that I have had in my stash for years and made a dangly charm to fix to the spiral binding. 

I bought a Zutter Bind-It-All second hand from e-bay several years ago and this is the first time of using it. It wasn't as successful as I would have liked as some of the rings came out a little mis-shapen however given that it was the first attempt I wasn't too disheartened. I used 1 inch O rings but because of the finished depth of the album, I could have done with 2". Unfortunately the largest size they make is 1.25 inches so perhaps a different binding method would be better. Back to the drawing board on that one I guess.

The last task was to insert an eyelet in both the front and back cover, thread with pink seam binding and tie in a bow. Job done!

I hope you enjoyed looking at my endeavours for this week, I have another project on the go which I hope to share with you soon. Thanks taking the time to call in.
Gill x