Tuesday, 12 February 2013

Die Storage

Until now, I have been storing my dies on magnetic sheets in a plastic storage box. Naturally, every time I need a die, it is on the bottom sheet and  moving the uppermost sheets to get to it causes all the other dies to fall off, thus ensuring that my valuable crafting time is spent re arranging the loose dies back in their allotted places.

I remember a long while ago, seeing a book that someone had made to house their dies, and in doing so made them easier to access. This book was beautifully embellished and looked very pretty, however, much as I liked it, I felt that the embellishments were not all that practical as storing the book(s) on a shelf would not be possible without damaging them.

I decided to have a go at making my own and this is what I came up with.

The cover was made from heavy weight chipboard: I had to ask my husband to round the corners for me as my corner chomper wouldn't cut through it. The internal pages were cut down stiff Amazon envelopes (waste not want not), covered with single sided card stock. The pockets were also made using the same cardstock but given depth by scoring the edges to make them expandable. These are for storing the packaging/instruction cards that come with the dies. The dies were attached to the pages with either self adhesive magnetic strips or the magnetic sheets on which I originally stored them cut down into smaller sizes and adhered using red double sided adhesive tape. I punched two holes in each cover and sheet using my crop a dile then inserted two large book rings. I wouldn't suggest using more than  5 or 6 pages as the book will not close properly.
The inside of the front cover was covered in a single sheet of card stock, but I covered the outside using the off cut strips from making the pages. I first gave the chipboard a coat of Mod Podge, stuck on the strips by overlapping them slightly ( I found a brayer useful in this instance) and finally coated the outside again in more Mod Podge, to protect it and give it durability. To finish off, I cut a Spellbinders name tag from the packaging and attached it to the top  book ring to make identification easier.
I am now staring on my second book to store my other dies!


A4 size heavy weight chipboard 
Single sided card stock Good Day Sunshine by We are Memory Keepers.
Old Amazon envelopes or other stiff card. (Several sheets of cereal packets stuck together). 
Red double sided adhesive tape
Ordinary double sided adhesive  tape
Mod Podge
2 Book rings
Paper trimmer
Corner rounder
Self adhesive magnetic strips
Score board

No comments:

Post a Comment